Assistant to the CFO
The assistant to the chief financial officer is a part-time, non-exempt position with flexible working hours. The candidate must have a bachelor's degree or five years of equivalent work experience in accounting, payroll management, and budgeting.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Assists in the accounts payable and cash disbursement processes.
- Follows up with both campuses to ensure that payable invoices are properly approved and has adequate documentation to support the expense.
- Performs timely and accurate entry of expenses into the payables system.
- Generates payable check runs and matches checks to vendor invoices and check requests and provides them to the CFO for approval.
- Coordinates distribution of accounts payable checks.
- Files supporting documentation of payable check runs for future reference.
- Assists the CFO with wire transfer payments.
- Prepares required tax forms and distributes accordingly upon CFO approval.
Assists in the cash deposit and bank reconciliation processes.
- Works with both campuses to ensure that cash receipts are deposited timely at the financial institution and are coded to the proper general ledger account.
- Completes timely monthly bank reconciliations for CFO approval.
- Files bank reconciliations and supporting documentation for future reference.
Assists in the month-end closing, annual budget and annual audit processes.
- Assists in the preparation of monthly account reconciliations; verifying account detail and activity by reconciling statements and transactions.
- Assists in entering journal entries and the annual budget into the accounting system.
- Works with both campuses on general ledger questions and actual vs. budget variances.
- Works with the CFO and both campuses in the preparation of the annual budget.
- Assists the CFO with the annual audit.
Payroll and Benefits
Assist in the preparation and processing of payroll to ensure employees are paid accurately and timely.
- Follows-up with both campuses to ensure that time sheets and time off requests are approved in the payroll system before processing payroll.
- Ensure that expense reimbursement requests and stipends are properly approved and entered into the payroll system for payment.
- Enters pay adjustments (stipends, benefit withholdings, court-ordered adjustments, etc.) into the payroll and benefit systems.
- Prepare payroll reports for the CFO to review and approve.
- Assists employees with payroll and benefit questions, including during the annual benefit enrollment period.
- Assists campus employees with questions regarding payroll and benefits. The CFO with special projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
Experience and Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree or 5 years of equivalent work experience.
- Working knowledge of not-for-profit accounting is highly desired, but not required.
- Working experience in Microsoft Word, Excel, Blackbaud and payroll systems. Attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrated ability to work multiple projects/priorities simultaneously in a results-oriented culture.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven ability to build and maintain effective relationships within the Association as well as external parties.
- Fully accepts our belief statement and actively exhibits these Christian values and behavior in all they say and do, agreeing to limit their personal expression to remain in alignment with the school's stated religious beliefs and those of our sponsoring church, The Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod
- Must be a member of and in regular attendance at a Christian congregation; a Lutheran church is strongly preferred
TO APPLY: Email cover letter and resume to Craig Uhlig, LHSA Chief Financial Officer cuhlig@LHSAstl.org.