Special Education Teacher
The Lutheran High School Association of St. Louis is seeking to hire a Special Education (SpEd) teacher for the 2021-2022 school year for its Lutheran North Middle and High School campus.
This position requires a credentialed teacher who has a passion for education, is enthusiastic about building relationships, and is willing to share his or her Christian faith with middle and high school students. Master’s degree preferred.
Lutheran North is a diverse educational community whose unity is in Jesus Christ. Our community is very strong and well supported. The curriculum is college-prep and this is a fantastic place to work. For more information, refer to the website: http://www.LNcrusaders.org.
Grade level: primarily 9-12, with added support for students in grades 6-8
May include, but is not limited to, courses such as: Learning Center, Resource Room, Independent Academic Lab, Study Skills, Math Lab and Reading Lab
Summary of Duties and Areas of Responsibility: The teacher’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Integrates Biblical principles and Christian worldview throughout curriculum
- Supports special education students who are mainstreamed for the majority of their learning. (Students who have a current IEP or 504 take a required course called, Resource Room.)
- Management and implementation of IEP/504 plans
- Establishes and ensures proper accommodations for all eligible students
- Teaches classes, following the approved curriculum, utilizing innovative, engaging methods and appropriate learning activities, enabling students to maximize their potential
- Prepares well-developed lesson plans according to school policy and course objectives
- Adapts teaching methods and materials to meet student needs, interests, and abilities
- Maintains accurate student records
- Establishes and maintains a classroom climate that supports a learning environment for all students
- Communicates effectively with students, parents, other faculty, staff, counselors and administrators
- Maintains appropriate professional interaction with students, parents, administrators, co-workers, and other colleagues
- Attends school functions, faculty meetings, in-service events, conferences, retreats, and workshops
- Strives for continued personal and professional development
- Meets the physical demands generally necessary for effective teaching
- Additional duties as assigned and agreed upon with school administration
- Must espouse, and minister in accordance with, the school’s philosophy of Lutheran, Christian education
- Must be state-certified to teach at middle and high school levels (grades 6-12)
- Must be college-trained as a special education teacher
- Preferably has a minimum of five years of teaching experience
- Preferably possesses a Master's Degree
- Preferably holds membership and be active in a congregation of the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod
To Apply: Email cover letter and resume to Sharon Thurman, Human Resources Manager at sthurman@LHSAstl.org
Compensation Package and Terms of Service
The salary and benefit package is dependent on the level of education and experience. The faculty member’s offer of employment shall be on an annual basis. Status on the LCMS official roster (Divine Call) shall be made available to individuals who qualify. Full-time positions include excellent benefits, including 100% employee medical coverage. A complete listing of benefits is available upon request.